Manufactured by Akrad Radio Corporation Ltd in 1954, production ran until about 1956.
The Clipper 5M4 was the first plastic radio to be fully designed and manufactured in New Zealand (other models of this size existed - the Bell Colt for example - but they used imported dies for the cabinet). Akrad designed and manufactured the mold for their cabinet.Several colours were released, however ivory is by far the most common to be found. The rarest would be black, as it is believed only a handful were made to be presented to the shareholders of the company. Other known colours are red, blue, brown and green.
There are at least two chassis variants, both using almost the same circuit and the same valve lineup, and can be seen here with the older variant at the bottom. The earlier chassis has the serial number stamped on the back while later models have a serial plate riveted on.Earlier models also have round IF cans, where the later models use more modern rectangular units.The later models have a Rola 5" speaker providing feedback to the 1st audio section via a resistive divider and also have an internal foil antenna glued to the inside of the cabinet and attached by a small bolt and nut in addition to the external orange aerial wire where the earlier models have no feedback and just the external orange aerial wire (both have a black earth wire as well).
A few other minor variations have been noted, such as Ducon capacitors in the earlier models with mustard caps in the later and a metal shield over the dial lamp in the later ones to try and cut down on the amount of glow through the cabinet.